Our First Travel Award – THE LIEBSTER AWARD!
We were extremely excited and honored to receive our first travel award! We would like to thank Stefanie and Dave from thestavediaries.com for nominating us!
The Liebster Award is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. This is the way to recognize and appreciate fellow bloggers and also promote our blogs.
How the LIEBSTER AWARD Works:
These aren’t so much rules but rather guidelines to keep this chain of awards going when you decide to accept the award.
- Write a blogpost about your nomination, displaying an image of the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the person who nominated you asked you in his/her blogpost.
- Nominate 5-11 other new bloggers who you think deserve this award, and come up with 11 questions of your own for them to answer.
- List these rules in your blogpost.
Our Answers to Stefanie & Dave’s Questions (written by Roxanne):
1. If you could live in any place you’ve traveled to, where would you choose and why?
The more we travel, the more we like coming back to Southern California. We like the climate, the ocean and atmosphere here. We lived here for the last 3 years and are planning to stay for at least a few more. Ideally, we imagine our retirement in Portugal where we can enjoy surfing, kitesurfing and wakeboarding. Portugal is an amazingly beautiful and not expensive country.
2. Where is one place that really surprised you when you visited and why?
We can name several, but I’ll choose one of our recent trips to Utah. We were amazed by the views in the Arches National Park. We did several difficult hikes and couldn’t stop thinking that we were walking on Mars. Here is one of the pictures from there:
3. What is your favorite story or memory from your travels?
We have a lot of good memories from Portugal. This was our first big trip together and the country where we first tried surfing and wakeboarding. We wanted to do kitesurfing but had no luck with the wind, and this is how we discovered wakeboarding. Those were amazing mornings in the ocean on a nice boat and great music 🙂
4. What is the one thing you’re most excited about for the remainder of 2016?
This May we are going to 2 places we wanted to see for a long time: Yellowstone in Wyoming and Glacier National Park in Montana.
5. What is your favorite food, one food you hate, and one that you refuse to try?
I (Roxanne) absolutely hate fish, I can not even come close to it as I hate the smell of it. I refuse to try oysters, different clams, bugs, snakes etc – anything that looks bad to me 🙂 When we don’t travel I almost always cook. At the moment in our top list is homemade sushi and Italian risotto with mushrooms.
6. What does the word “success” mean to you?
At the moment we are working on a full-time basis and can not afford to travel as much as we’d like to. Our dream is to find remote jobs so that we could travel more. But we’ll call it a success when we have enough money on our investment accounts to be able to travel full-time and spend more time on learning new things and trying different sports.
7. What was the best meal you’ve ever had in your life?
When I’m thinking of really good food I’m remembering one Cuban restaurant in Brussels. The dish I tried was a simple chicken but the sauce was so good that I was licking the plate 🙂 Also, I still remember the taste of mushroom risotto and a cheesecake that I tried in Croatia.
8. What’s the number one item on your bucket list?
Our dream is to visit Japan. It must be a completely different world with their culture, architecture and very special nature. We’d like to spend there at least a month and explore different parts of the country.
9. What is your favorite travel resource or website?
Our starting point is always Google. We create our top level travel plan using google search and maps and then look for special places on our routes. We really like Quora to get advices from locals and experts.
10. If you could have all of your followers read just one of your blog posts, which would it be and why?
That would be about our trip to Arizona and Utah national parks and landmarks with final stop at Moab: http://travelize.me/2015/12/11/4-day-trip-to-moab/
Just because the place is gorgeous and we’d like to come back in the nearest future for mountain biking.
11. What made you decide to start a blog and what has been your biggest challenge?
At some point of time we became also interested in photography and started posting our pictures on facebook. We received a lot of comments from our friends and questions about our trips and we thought that we’ll be interested in organizing information about our travels and putting it in a blog. These days there is so much information about different places that we thought it will be helpful for other people to use our travel routes without spending lots of time on planning and research. The biggest challenge is to find time for writing as both of us work full-time and also study.
Our LIEBSTER AWARD Nominees
I like tracking what’s happening on instagram. This is a quick way of seeing new great places and getting ideas of what I want to read more about. I used instagram as a source of finding fellow travelers and selecting the nominees. Here is the list of blogs I think deserves to be nominated:
Priti from absolutewanderlust.com
Peter & Dona from livingtheqlife.co
Charm from charmtheexplorer.
- Scott & Janie Brown from maketravelcount.com
- Asia from navigableworld.com
Our Questions for the Nominees to Answer:
- What was your first memorable significant trip and why?
- Is there any place that you visit over and over again? Why is it special to you?
- Out of all the countries you have visited, which one did you like the most?
- In what country/place would you like to retire?
- What inspires you to write your blog?
- What is the scariest thing you have experienced while traveling?
- How do you decide where to go next? What’s your next travel destination?
- What advice can you give to beginner travelers?
- Do you plan your travels in details in advance or buy one way ticket and follow your heart? What is your typical travel day?
- Assuming money was not an issue, what is one thing you’re dying to DO?
- Your number one necessary travel item (excluding passport :))?
Thanks again, Stefanie and Dave for nominating us!
Our nominees, please let us know when you create your posts! We’d like to check them out!